When it comes to relationships, how do you know when to call it quits? Sure, you can ask your mom or that friend who’s always a little too eager to share their opinion 🙂 But in the end, you are the one who knows what you’re willing to put up with & what’s on your list of ‘deal breakers’. So if you haven’t already, these questions can help you start thinking through what you want from a relationship & maybe point out some red flags you haven’t seen before.
- Are their values compatible with yours?
- Are their words consistent with their actions?
- Do they appear to express feelings openly?
- Do you feel valued in the relationship?
- Do they act controlling and possessive?
- Are they extremely jealous?
- Do they tell you how to dress, criticize your appearance and/or your behavior?
- Do they want to spend every free moment with you? Do they have other interests and friends?
- How do they act with younger children? With pets?
- How do they handle anger?
- Do they get along with your family?
- Have they been in a relationship before? If yes, what happened?
- Do they abuse alcohol or drugs?
- Do they have a history of being in trouble with the law?
- Do they desire a sexual relationship which is compatible with yours?
- Do they work through conflict effectively?
- Do they want you to make all the decisions?
- Do you care as much about them as they do about you?
- What are their parents like? Are they separated, divorced, or still together? Why did they break up?
- How do their parents handle disagreements?
Done With Drama
If you’re done with the drama in your relationship & want to make things work, consider coming to our free relationship class at Embrace. Make it a date night & bring your significant other or take notes of what you can apply in your own life. In this 6 week class, discover how to effectively handle conflict, form good habits of communication & develop emotional intimacy with your partner. Learn the foundation for a relationship that lasts 30 years versus 30 days. Sign-up today!
Talk It Out
Embrace also offers affordable counseling for individuals or couples facing a variety of life’s issues. Schedule an appointment to talk through concerns in your current relationship or come in as a couple to work through a problem together. Sometimes an unbiased outside perspective is just what you need to take the next step forward.