Gathering the information you need to make a decision about your unexpected pregnancy can be difficult. You may feel overwhelmed and uncertain, especially during a stressful time.
Embrace is here to provide you with the facts and offer you support. If you are considering abortion, there are several things you’ll want to do before making that decision. Continue reading to learn about these steps.
1. Have a Limited Ultrasound
It may sound strange to have an ultrasound (sonogram) performed when you are sure you want an abortion, but it’s a necessary step to protect your health. An ultrasound confirms the following pregnancy details:
- Viability: Up to 26% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage, so you’ll want to confirm your pregnancy is viable and has a heartbeat. Miscarriages may require further monitoring or medical treatment.
- Gestational age: Knowing how far along you are will determine which abortion procedure you may be eligible for.
- Pregnancy location: If your pregnancy isn’t located in the uterus (i.e., a fallopian tube), you may have an ectopic pregnancy. This condition is dangerous if left untreated and requires medical attention.
Having an ultrasound is a necessary step before reviewing your pregnancy options. Embrace Wichita offers no-cost, limited ultrasounds following a positive pregnancy test at the center.
2. Receive a Physical
You’ll want to ensure your health is in order following your limited ultrasound. Having a physical with a medical provider will help review any conditions preventing you from having an abortion.
You’ll also want to mention any allergies you have. Sometimes, certain factors increase the risks of complications during abortion, such as:
- Having an intrauterine device (IUD) in place
- Having a bleeding disorder
- Being on steroid medications
- Being allergic to the drugs used
- Can’t make follow-up visits or access emergency care
- Are too far along in your pregnancy
- Have a suspected ectopic pregnancy
- Take a blood thinner
You also need to be aware of the potential emotional side effects.
3. Review Abortion Information and Pregnancy Options
Your next step is to ensure you understand the risks of abortion procedures and your other options, such as parenting and adoption. Knowing this information will help you to make an informed, confident decision.
Embrace offers options information to give you the facts you need. In addition to information, referrals, resources, and support are offered when considering parenting or adoption. Embrace doesn’t profit from your pregnancy decision and is committed to being a nonjudgmental source of information.
Learn About Embrace’s No-Cost Services Today
When you have an unexpected pregnancy, Embrace is here for you with no-cost services like pregnancy testing, limited sonograms, STD testing, and more.
Contact Embrace today to learn more about the services offered. Help is just a phone call or text away.