You may have heard varying statements about abortion’s impact on mental health. The National Institutes of Health states that women could experience mental health effects after an abortion higher than the rate of the general population. These effects can include depression, anxiety, and substance use disorders.
Depression can cause significant disturbances in your life, including:
- Sleep issues
- Lack of appetite or overeating
- Having little to no energy
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
This mental health condition can interfere with daily life, so seeking proper treatment and counseling is essential. But if you have an unexpected pregnancy, how can you help prevent depression?
Exploring the Adoption Option
Unexpected pregnancies often create anxiety and tension, especially if you are unsure what to do. Abortion can cause mental health issues in some women. Is there another option that may provide more peace of mind and healing?
Adoption may be a viable option for your pregnancy. Though it can be stressful and emotionally challenging, many women find it provides peace knowing that the child is cared for and loved in a supportive environment. Playing an active role in the adoption process can also give a sense of closure and help you form a relationship with the child’s family.
Understanding Adoption Plans
Multiple adoption plans exist that may suit your lifestyle and preferences:
- Open adoption: The most popular option, this plan allows you to choose the adoptive parents, form a relationship with the family, and regularly communicate through visits, phone calls, or letters.
- Semi-open adoption: A semi-open adoption provides communication with the family, but it is conducted via a third party like an adoption attorney or agency.
- Closed adoption: This plan is the most private. With a closed adoption, your identifying records are sealed, and you do not communicate with the adoptive family. Your information remains anonymous.
If you choose adoption, you will never pay for services. Adoption specialists will help you understand your rights, walk through the process, and provide emotional, material, and financial assistance. Birth parents are supported throughout this journey and beyond.
No-Cost Adoption Information
Embrace offers no-cost pregnancy services, including education on adoption. Embrace is not an adoption agency but can refer you to reputable ones and provide needed resources.
Contact Embrace today to learn more. If you have an unexpected pregnancy, you are not alone.