If you’re facing an unexpected pregnancy and considering ordering the abortion pill online, it’s essential to understand the risks to protect your health.
Read on to learn more about the risks of ordering the abortion pill online.
Or, if you want to talk to someone about your pregnancy and options, contact Embrace today to connect with one of our caring team members. All appointments and services are confidential and provided at no cost to you.
Why Is Ordering the Abortion Pill Online Risky?
The FDA advises against ordering the abortion pill online.
This is because the FDA does not regulate illegitimate online pharmacies. They can’t verify the safety, quality, or effectiveness of drugs outside the U.S. supply chain.
When you take abortion drugs that you buy online, your safety could be in jeopardy. You will not know if you received the correct drug or dosage. This presents more risks in addition to the existing health risks, which can include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
How Do I Protect My Health Before Seeking an Abortion?
If you’re considering seeking an abortion online, it’s essential to take specific steps beforehand to protect your health.
The first step to take is to get a limited sonogram. This scan can give you the critical information you need before an abortion, including:
- Pregnancy age: The abortion drugs that you can receive from a regulated pharmacy are only FDA-approved through ten weeks of pregnancy. After, an abortion provider might recommend another type of procedure.
- Pregnancy location: Rarely, a pregnancy may implant and grow outside the uterus. This is known as an ectopic pregnancy, and it’s a life-threatening condition that requires treatment.
- Pregnancy viability: About 10-20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, and sometimes there are no immediate signs that you’re experiencing one. A sonogram can determine if you’re having a miscarriage; if so, you will need follow-up care to ensure you don’t have any complications.
You’re Not Alone
Facing an unexpected pregnancy can leave you with many questions, but you can find answers at Embrace.
While your pregnancy decision is yours, our caring team is here to walk alongside you. Embrace provides confidential pregnancy services—like limited sonograms—and information to help you make an informed decision. Contact us today to schedule your no-cost appointment.